top of page


July 1, 1863

The Battle of Gettysburg. Lieut Col. Work commanding. In the morning, the brigade left its bivouac at Fayettesville and resumed its march along the Chambersburg Pike toward Cashtown, which lay 12 miles to the east. The movement was delayed several hours when Gen. Edward Johnson's Division of Ewell's Second Corps cut across its line of march. The column would advance a hundred yards or so, and then stop and stand still, the men not daring to sit down, for five, ten, or twenty minutes at a time.'


July 2, 1863

The brigade finally reached Cashtown at 2 am after marching all night. There the men were permitted to stack arms and rest. The men had rested but two hours when they received orders to resume their march toward Gettysburg, which was 8 miles further east along the pike. The brigade reached Gen. Lee's headquarters, just west of the town and south of the pike, an hour after sunrise. After a short delay, the brigade moved about a mile southwest to the valley of Willoughby Run behind Seminary Ridge. Here the brigade cooked breakfast and rested. At about noon the brigade started its movement south toward the destination near the Wheatfield and the Emmitsburg Road. By 4 pm, the brigade was in place deployed in two lines of two brigades astride the Emmitsburg Road about 2 3/4 miles south of the Lutheran Seminary. The Federal artillery began taking its toll the brigade moved to a less vulnerable position and lied down to minimize casualties. It was just after 4 pm. When the brigade was ordered forward. As the brigade continued its advance across open fields into woods and rocky terrain, a large gap developed between the First and Fourth Texas. Federal fire from woods on the left forced the Third Arkansas and the First Texas to veer further left to answer the attack. The breach in the brigade was not exploited by the Federals and was soon plugged by the Forty-fourth and Forty-eighth Alabama. The First Texas and the Twentieth Georgia of Benning's Brigade captured a Federal battery. A stone wall was hastily erected in anticipation of renewed battle in the morning.



July 3, 1863

At daylight the scattered remnants of the brigade were unified and occupied a sector along Plum Run between Devil's Den and Big Round Top. This would become part of the main defensive line thoughout the day. The right was relatively quiet. Sniper fire persisted throughout the day, and occasionally a shell would explode amidst the sparse ranks. Federal cavalry twice appeared on the flank and rear., but each time the horsemen were driven off by Law's artillery and infantry. The First Texas was the only regiment of the brigade engaged in these operations. Late in the afternoon, the brigade withdrew from its forward position to a line near the Emmitsburg Road. Here they remained through the day awaiting a Federal attack that never came..


July 4, 1863

Remained in battle positions


July 5, 1863

Marched towards Fairfield


July 6, 1863

The brigade reached Hagerstown late in the afternoon. Camped southeast of town on the Sharpsburg Road. The brigade had went without meat and had little bread since Gettysburg.


July 7, 1863

The regiment reached Hagerstown and took up position with their backs to the Potomac River.


July 14, 1863

At dawn on the 14th the brigade crossed the Potomac under the eye of General Lee. Each soldier bared his head. There was no salute, no cheer and no word was spoken as the men marched silently by General Lee. The brigade then marched eight miles to Martinsburg, where it bivouacked for the night.


July 16, 1863

The regiment bivouacked at Bunker Hill for 4 days.


July 20, 1863

Passed through Chester Gap


July 24, 1863

The regiment went into camp at Culpeper Court House and remained there for 7 days.


July 25, 1863

Bivouacked at Culpeper Court House. Here they drew rations, supplies, and equipment, and wrote home of their great adventure into Pennsylvania


August 1, 1863

Broke camp, moved southeast along the Rapidan River.


August 3, 1863

The regiment bivouacked at Racoon Ford


August 4,1863

Moved down the Rapidan and along the Rappahannock to Fredericksburg.


August 6, 1863

The regiment went into camp in the vicinity of Fredericksburg for three weeks.


August 7, 1863

Relaxing, drew supplies, and guarding the fords of the Rappahannock. Picketed a twelve mile stretch of the river between the United States Ford above Fredericksburg to a point a mile below the town. Established a semi-permanent camp just below the town. The men ate well, were in fine spirits, and received new uniforms from the Richmond Depot and new shoes from England that had been run through the Union blockade.


August 13, 1863

Camped at Fredericksburg. The brigade was paid up to July 1st. A great many bet at cards, who would never do so at home, because the have nothing else to do. It is sort of a frolic and past time, and a good many have already lost all they had.


September - November, 1863

Assigned Texas Brigade, Hoods Division, Longstreet's Corps, Army of Tennessee


September 3, 1863

The brigade moved about 20 miles below Fredericksburg to Rappahannock Academy near Port Royal and posted pickets at all river crossings, a sizeable number of whom had recently been spotted in the area


September 8, 1863

The regiment moved to Bowling Green and boarded train for Richmond.


September 9, 1863

Arrived in Richmond. Many of the men took their time journeying south through the city to the depot of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad. On the way, many visited the now familiar taverns and became quite drunk. Fortunately, enough men remained sober enough to heard the drunkards onto the railroad cars headed south. While in Richmond, Gen. Hood was implored to accompany the brigade to Georgia. Although he had the use of only one arm, Hood agreed and boarded the train with his favorite horse, a roan named ``Jeff Davis.'' The railroads along the way were of different gauges, which required much unloading and reloading of troops onto rickety rolling stock. At every stop, the men were greeted with cheers, kisses, food, and clothing. The more ragged the soldier, the greater the benefits bestowed upon him, Left Richmond by train heading south.


September 10, 1863

While in Wilmington, North Carolina, the brigade made its presence known in the unsavory waterfront section known as ``Paddy's Hollow.'' Having had several rounds of John Barleycorn, the men became boisterous and obnoxious. When a local police force was summoned to expel the revellers, the men mistook the officers in their blue uniforms for Yankees, formed a battle line, and staggered to a charge. One constable in his late fifties was badly beaten about the face, another was knocked down by a shillelagh blow to the ear, and a third officer suffered two knife wounds in his side. The policemen withdrew, leaving the waterfront to the mercy of the rowdy men.


September 11, 1983

At Sumter, South Carolina, a spread of food was prepared expressly for Hood's Texas Brigade. The train stopped just 15 minutes to allow the men to feast at long tables spread with goodies. All were happy lords, yet knowing at the same time that we were going into another big killing and that many of us would go to our long homes.


September 17, 1863

Reached a burnt bridge near Catoosa Station, Georgia. Unloaded the equipment, prepared supper, and bivouacked for the night at nearby Ringgold. The brigade was the first of Hood's men to reach Ringgold. The brigade was transported by rail through Weldon, Wilmington, and Florence, North Carolina, to Kingsville, South Carolina, and then through Augusta, Atlanta, and Dalton, Georgia to Catoosa Station, the railway stop for Ringgold, Georgia.


September 18, 1863

About 3 pm Johnson's Division was preparing to cross the Chickamauga when Gen. Hood, who had arrive at Catoosa Station a few hours after the brigade, arrived and assumed command of the Provisional Division. Hood sent skirmishers forward to support Forrest and ordered Maj. Felix H. Robertson's Artillery Battalion forward and to unlimber. (Robertson was the son of Gen. Jerome B. Robertson, commander of the Texas Brigade.) Hood's Division then crossed the Chickamauga at Reed's Bridge, advanced a quarter of a mile to Jay's Stream Saw Mill, turned south at the mill, and advanced down the west side of the Chickamauga. After a march of two miles, the column halted at dusk. The brigade were opposite Dalton's Ford and about 800 yards east of the Viniard House on the Lafayette-Chattanooga Road, where a corps of 14,000 Federals under Gen. Thomas L. Crittenden were deployed. Hood's Division was the only Confederate force west of the river. The brigades were placed in a defensive position facing three sides. The Texas Brigade faced northwest toward the Viniard House and the Lafayette-Chattanooga Road. One-third of the men were required to remain on duty through the night, while the remaining two-thirds were ordered to sleep on their arms. Throughout the night, could hear the ring of axes and rumbling of artillery as the Federals constructed breastworks and moved their guns into position.


September 19, 1863

The Battle of Chickamauga. Lieut Col. Work commanding, At 3:00 moved forward engage heavy enemy force on hill. Took hill with heavy losses. Held the hill for the night.


September 20, 1863

At 11:00 am attacked gap in Federal lines and drove the enemy back for a confederate victory. Brigade suffered 540 men killed, wounded or missing., 44% of General Robertson’s Brigade.


September 22

The siege of Chattanooga. Lieut Col. Work commanding. In the morning, the brigade reached the Confederate siege line south of Chattanooga and moved to its assigned position on the left of the line. The Texas Brigade was stationed about a mile and a half east of the northern foot of Lookout Mountain. This location was near where Chattanooga Creek empties in the Tennessee River. Here, the brigade constructed some of the most extensive trenches and breastworks built to date. The First and has only about 100 men each fit for duty.


October 15, 1863

Entrenched a mile and a half of the Northern side of lookout Mountain. Short of food. The men are receiving an unvarying diet of musty corn, blue beef, and contaminated water which left many of the men sick with diarrhea.


October 20, 1863

Entrenched a mile and a half of the Northern side of lookout Mountain. During the time of high waters, last week, the men were almost without food for four days. The rains, however, have ceased, and the men have their usual supply. The principle article of breadstuff is the coarsest kind of cornmeal. Stuff it is, and make no mistake. Occasionally the men get flour, some rice, and, once in a while can purchase Irish potatoes; but this is an exhausted, mountainous, poor country.


October 23, 1863

Entrenched a mile and a half of the Northern side of lookout Mountain. Several of the men are assigned as scouts and sharp shooters with the task of preventing boats loaded with provisions from landing above Chattanooga and reaching the Federal garrison stationed there. Twice Dearing led a band of men downriver, surprised a ferry boat laden with goods, and killed or captured several officers and men. Some of the men are issued the caputure supplies such as shoes.


October 28 - 29, 1863

The Battle of Wauhatchie


November, 1863 - April, 1864

Assigned Texas Brigade, Hood's-Jenkins'-Field's Division, Dept. Of East Tennessee


November 1, 1863

Bivouaced at eastern slop of Lookout Mountain. Gen. Longstreet wrote to Col. William Brent, Chief of Staff of the Army of Tennessee, requesting that Gen. Jerome B. Robertson be relieved of command of the Texas Brigade. Longstreet charged that ``this officer has been complained of so frequently for want of conduct in time of battle that I apprehend that the abandonment by his brigade of its position on the night of the 28th [October] may have been due to his want of hearty co-operation.''


November 4, 1863

Bivouaced at eastern slop of Lookout Mountain. The division was ordered to march to the tunnel through Missionary Ridge, where it would board the trains of the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad the next day. Each man received ten days' rations of fresh beef and corn meal, which were to be cooked immediately. The cooking utensils departed camp early, however, so the men had to bake their bread ``in the ashes.'' The board began hearing testimony but the proceedings were disrupted by the detachment of the divisions from the siege of Chattanooga


November 5, 1863

The regiment left the vicinity of Chattanooga and moved east and north towards Tyner's Station. Began march to Missionary Ridge. As the men moved out many discarded greasy decks of cards from their pockets or haversacks. The men did not wish to be found killed in their next engagement with such items in their possession. Upon arriving at the tunnel, the men found no train awaiting them and continued marching to Tyner's Station about 10 miles further east.


November 5, 1863

The brigade reached Tyner's Station early in the morning after an all-night march along a half-frozen road in a sleet storm. The men are cold and unhappy


November 8, 1863

Moved north to Cleveland


November 9, 1863

Boarded train heading towards Knoxville via Sweetwater


November 10, 1863

Gen Robertson was restored to command pending resumption of his board of inquiry. With no prospects for transportation in sight, Gen. Robertson marched his command 20 miles to Cleveland.


November 11, 1863

The brigade arrived at Cleveland in the afternoon. The trains finally caught up. The men gladly left the frozen roads for the rail cars, but soon found that progress aboard the train was little faster than that which they had already made on foot. The dilapidated rolling stock provided by Bragg's quartermaster was built of heavy material, while the engines were of lightweight construction. Every time the train reached a hill, the passengers had to debark, march alongside the rails, and reboard the train on the downgrade. Occasionally, the men had to bail water from streams and cut up rail fences in order to keep the engines going


November 12, 1863

The brigade left the cars of the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad at Sweetwater, Tennessee -- the rendezvous point for Longstreet's infantry and artillery and the cavalry division of Gen. ``Fighting Joe'' Wheeler. The brigade was ordered to march cautiously along the tracks toward Loudon, which lay on the south bank of the Tennessee River some 20 miles southwest of Knoxville.


November 15, 1863

Sharp skirmishes were fought at Lenoir's Station. Captured sixty wagons at Lenior and large quantities of ammunition and medical stores. Along with 500 to 600 winter cabins better furnished than homes in Texas.


November 16, 1863

Sharp skirmishes were fought at Campbell's Station. Fearing a Federal cavalry attack on his lines of communications, Longstreet ordered the brigade back to Loudon


November 17, 1863 - December 4, 1863

The siege of Knoxville. Lieut Col. Work commanding


November 19, 1863

Crossed the Tennessee River and moved to Knoxville


November 20, 1863

The regiment crossed to south side of the Tennessee and took up positions opposite Union held Fort Higley


November 23, 1863

The brigade, after much long-range skirmishing and under artillery fire, opened the attack on the main Federal line. The Yankees resisted stubbornly at first, but they eventually gave way in disorder and retreated to a prepared defensive position on the crest of a high ridge.


November 24, 1863

The brigade kept up a steady fire against the Federal position. Two privates were forced to walk six miles to find a taker for their Confederate tender. After a hard day of tramping through the rain, they had exchanged one month's pay ($11 each) for two chickens, two dozen apples, and four canteens of molasses.


November 26, 1863

Gen. Robertson then withdrew his command to Cherokee Heights, a series of high hills about 1000 yards west of Fort Higley, and set up a defense line. From this position, the Texas Brigade exchanged sniper fire with the Federals at Fort Higley and across the river. Under a more constant and vigorous sniper fire than any other command. While in their defensive position on Cherokee Heights, the Texans at last had an opportunity to rectify by their own efforts the inadequate food and supplies provided by the commissary of the Army of Tennessee. Several members of the Fourth Texas engaged in bartering and foraging in the depleted and desolate area south of the Holston. Yanks had taken everything from the citizens of the neighbourhood, chickens, ducks, turkeys, hogs, etc


November 29, 1863

Longstreet attacked Knoxville but the attacked failed miserably. The brigade launched a diversionary attack on Fort Higley south of the Holston, lost but one man killed and one wounded.



December 2, 1863

Longstreet ordered a retreat to Bristol, Virginia, where he planned to encamp for the winter. The route of retreat was north around Knoxville and then northeast along the north bank of the Holston River. The brigade along with Law's Brigade, accompanied by a battery of E. Porter Alexander's artillery, were to guard the trains.


December 3, 1863

Law's and Robertson's Brigades vigorously attacked the Federals to their front in an attempt to conceal the withdrawal. After withstanding the Confederate attacks until noon, the Federals retreated to a second line of entrenchments nearer the Holston. The two brigades then quietly withdrew westward, crossed to the north bank of the river by ferry in the early evening, and marched north around Knoxville


December 4, 1863

In the morning, the brigade led the advance of Longstreet's command eastward from Knoxville. Convinced that they were about to return to Lee's army, the men sang repeated choruses of ``Carry Me Back to Ole Virginny.'' The brigade followed the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad along the north bank of the Holston for about ten miles, and then crossed to the south bank by means of the railroad bridge at Strawberry Plains. Here, about a mile from the river, the brigade camped for the night.


December 5, 1863

The brigade, still guarding the baggage and ordnance trains, followed the track of the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad along the western slope of the Bays Mountains. The brigade passed through New Market.


December 8, 1863

Bivouacked at Rogersville


December 9, 1863

Skirmish at Bean's Station


December 10, 1863

The regiment bivouacked at Bean's Station for 10 days. Longstreet received another telegram from Davis informing him that he had been given sole authority over the troops in his Department of East Tennessee. Gen. Robertson wrote to Gen. Hood that the brigade carried on its rolls only 784 men ``present for duty,'' of which ``many'' were ``not fit to march.'' Thus, the brigade now has the effective strength of an undersized regiment. Gen. Robertson proposed to Hood that the Texas Brigade be sent back to Texas for the winter to recuperate and recruit, and then rejoin Longstreet west of the Mississippi on or about April 1, 1864.


December 13, 1863

The brigade marched to the vicinity of Bean's Station to support a cavalry action. Although they were under occasional artillery fire, the brigade did not see action in what turned out to be a minor engagement in which the Federal forces escaped westward. Bivouacked in vicinity of Bean’s Station.


December 19, 1863

Moved south and crossed the Holston River. Some of the men have been barefoot for three or four weeks. The men are on half rations


December 22, 1863

The brigade crossed the Holston River with the rest of Longstreet's infantry and went into winter quarters at Morristown. Morristown iss located on the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad in the fertile valley between the Holston and French Broad Rivers about 40 miles northeast of Knoxville. The brigade camped on top of a wooded hill one mile north of town. Here the water supply was ample and the foraging opportunities good.


December 25, 1863

Christmas Day. Most of the men prepared their last items captured from the Yankees around Knoxville. After eating heartily and passing along rumors of the brigade's imminent movement westward across the Mississippi (no doubt a reference to Robertson's proposal to Hood).


December 27, 1863

By this time it has become clear to the men that Morristown is to be a fairly permanent camp site, so construction is started on more substantial winter quarters

Unknown Track - Unknown Artist
00:00 / 00:00
bottom of page